Title : Evaluation of Microbial consortia for drought tolerance under Rainfed sorghum
Sorghum is grown on considerable area under rainfed condition in Marathwada region both in kharif and rabi season. However, the productivity of sorghum particularly in kharif season is fluctuating. Also sorghum is grown majorly for fodder production in kharif season. Occurrence of frequent dryspell in Marathawada region is a common phenomenon which as a direct impact on the production and productivity Drought is one of the main environmental factors that negatively affect plant growth and development, and it restricts agricultural productivity. In plants, drought is associated with other stresses, for example, osmotic stress produced by dehydration, which diminishes cell expansion. A microbial consortia is two or more microbial group living symbiotically. Consortiums can be endosymbiotic or ectosymbiotic. The concept of consortium was first introduced by Johannes Reinke. Microbial consortium is specially formulated microbial inoculants. It is carrier base microbial product which contain N- fixing, P and Zn solubilizing and K mobilizing and plant growth promoting bacteria. In order to increase the productivity of sorghum in kharif season, an experiment was conducted to study the Response of microbial consortia on productivity of sorghum (sorghum bicolar L.) and soil quality under rainfed condition of Marathawada region.
What will audience learn from your presentation?
(Try to list 3-5 specific items)
- Explain how the audience will be able to use what they learn?
Ans: The audience will be able to learn how dryspell mitigation could be achieved through climate resilient techniques like application of consortia for maintain soil moisture and to avoid moisture stress to crop
- How will this help the audience in their job?
- The audience who are working in dryland technology research will be beneficial in conducting research work on climate resilient technology for various crops.
- Is this research that other faculty could use to expand their research or teaching?
- The said research work will help the faculty in conducting practical demonstrations of this technology to students (PG & Ph.D) and for conducting the further research work.
- Does this provide a practical solution to a problem that could simplify or make a designer’s job more efficient?
Ans: The developed consortia will provide a practical solution to the problem of dryland agricultural particularly during dryspell period to sustain under soil moisture stress condition.
- Will it improve the accuracy of a design, or provide new information to assist in a design problem?Ans: This type research information will definitely provide a new set of information in designing new research area related to various crops under changing climate situation.
- List all other benefits.
Ans: 1. Improve soil water holding capacity
2. Crop productivity enhancement
3. Improvement in nutrient use efficiency
4. Soil Microbial population improvement